About CFT Lamphelpat
The College of Food Technology, Central Agricultural University, Lamphelpat was established in 2015 as one of the constituent colleges of Central Agricultural University, Imphal, Manipur. It is presently located at Lamphelpat, Imphal West, Manipur on the foothills of Langol Hill. It is about 7 km. from Imphal City. At present, the administrative and academic buildings together occupy an area of 1400 m2. There is also a playground with approximate area of 4000 m2.
The campus of the college is located at 24º82’N latitude and 93º90’E longitudes with an elevation of 790 m MSL. It can be reached via air and land during all weathers throughout the year. The Bir Tikendrajit International Airport is situated at a distance of about 9 km. from the campus. The nearest railway station is Jiribam railway station which is around 200 km. far from the college campus. The beautiful view of Langol ching (mountain) can be seen from the campus giving an alluring view. The campus lies adjacent to the Central Farm of the Central Agricultural University with variety of cultivation and animal husbandry activities undertaken. Regarding the weather of Imphal, the average annual rainfall is 1518.36 mm. with average maximum temperature of 29.4 ºC in the month of June, while the average minimum temperature recorded is 4.3 ºC in the month of January.
The College of Food Technology, Lamphelpat, imparts technical and professional education in Food Technology which is based on theoretical and practical approaches proposed by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research. The College started its first flagship academic programme i.e., 4 year B. Tech. in Food Technology programme from the academic session 2015-16 with an intake capacity of 20 students. The course curriculum and syllabi are based on the model academic regulations and syllabi as proposed by the 5th Dean Committee of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi. The course curriculum design is such that emphasis is made for the students to meet the knowledge and skills in the field of food technology and science at the global stage. Among others, since the academic year 2018-2019, the 7th and 8th semesters are completely dedicated to Industrial internship program and Experiential Learning Programme respectively.
Mandate of the Institution
The College of Food Technology, Lamphelpat is a unique campus under the Central Agricultural University, Imphal with complete integration of all the three functions viz.; teaching, research and extension. The college has the mandate to develop, strengthen and promote the understanding, knowledge and skills to improve profitability and utilization in the field of food processing, packaging, storage and distribution of food product not only in Manipur but also in the entire North-Eastern Region of India. The college shall also endeavour to establish linkages with other scientific institutions of ICAR, other zonal and national bodies in the field of its domain located in the region and outside the region. But, the major mandates of the college are:
- Making provision for imparting education in food science and engineering.
- Advancement of learning and conducting research particularly in Food Technology and other allied sciences / technologies especially for the rural people of the region in general.
- Undertaking activities pertaining to major mandates via, education, research and extension as directed by the University from time to time.
- To undertake teaching for UG in Food Technology.
- To carry out research to generate technology and extension of technology to the micro food processing units and professional bodies.
- To aim for use of technology for extension of shelf life of food items in terms of food preservation and processing.
- To undertake the policy programme of state and central government related to food processing education, research and extension.
- To undertake such other activities as it may deem fit from time to time.